Spillane cup 2014

Hutt Old Boys Marist win 5 in a row

Hutt Old Boys Marist retained the New Zealand Marist Spillane Cup title with a resolute defensive effort in today’s final on home soil at the Hutt Recreation Ground against Christchurch Marist Albion.

HOBM turned sizzling attack seen in Saturday’s 50-19 win over Auckland Marist to backs-to-the-wall defence to beat Marist Albion 30-7 in the final.

The Eagles held off wave after wave of Marist Albion attack inside their 22 for virtually the entire third quarter with HOBM holding a 23-7 lead. The visitors launched a 15-minute assault at their try line but their advances were kept in check, which won them the game.

Breaking out of their territory in the fourth quarter, returning first five-eighth and former Wairarapa-Bush and Heartland Championship leading points scorer Glenn Walters sliced through for a converted try and HOBM could begin celebrating their fifth straight Spillane Cup win.

Captain for the weekend and centre Ope Peleseuma said it was a great way to start the season for his side. “We’re really happy with this win, it’s a great way to start the season and was a good hit-out for the boys,” he said.

Peleseuma credited his team’s heart against Marist Albion. “A lot went into that match from both teams and they threw everything at us there. Our guys really had to D up there and we’re pleased we got through with this win. We let in a couple of soft tries at the end in our first game against Auckland Marist and we talked about not letting the opposition in like that today.”

Players to stand out for HOBM included blindside flanker James Wall, who scored the opening try of the final, both props Wayne Aquila and Otto Rasch, No. 8 Lise Soloa and first five-eighth and sharpshooter Glenn Walters.

Marist Albion, who lost players to injury during the final, including tighthead prop Kit Vertogen, which was an obvious blow, played a structured game and were particularly strong in the forwards. But, as they had done in their last-gasp 23-21 opening day win over Taranaki’s Tukapa, repeatedly let themselves down with errors and with giving away too many penalties at the breakdown.

Walters made them pay, kicking two first quarter penalties, while a turnover and 80 metre breakout led directly to Wall scoring his try to give HOBM a 13-0 lead after 20 minutes.

Marist Albion struck back to score a converted try to their hooker Rowan O’Gorman, but Walters pushed them back ahead 16-7 with his third penalty.HOBM then scored the try of the final, a sweeping attacking raid up field presenting a try to fullback Tomasio Alosio, which Walters converted from the sideline to put the home side ahead 23-7.

Saturday’s win over Auckland Marist was a different story for HOBM, who were fast out of the blocks, scoring two tries off lineouts and racing to a 17-0 lead. Auckland Marist replied, but HOBM then went on a 33-point scoring spree with replacement first five-eighth Chase Tiatia crossing for a second half hat-trick.

Marist Albion had beaten Tukapa on Saturday with almost the last play of the game, stealing a defensive lineout and spinning the ball out to the left wing for the try.Tukapa had led 11-0 early, Marist Albion had come back to lead 18-14 before Tukapa scored what they thought was the match winning try with several minutes to play.

Sunday’s playoff for third and fourth between Auckland Marist and Tukapa was won by Auckland 48-22 but the run of play was much closer than that.

Auckland Marist led 17-10 early and then 38-15 at halftime. But Tukapa fought back in the third quarter, scoring next to close the gap to 38-22 and threatened to break free again in a hotly contested match.

However Auckland Marist re-grouped and scored late tries. For Auckland Marist, centre James Raea was their most penetrating back in both games, while Tukapa’s No. 8 Mitchell Crosswell was tireless in both his team’s matches.

Wellington’s Marist St.Pat’s, re-joining the competition after a year’s absence, won the division 2 Ham Cumming final in beating  Hastings Rugby and Sports 33-17.MSP had led 28-3 at one point.

MSP had beaten Palmerston North Marist on Saturday in a thriller, hooker Liu Taituave barging over for a converted try on fulltime to see them prevail 34-22. MSP had led 22-20 at halftime.

For video highlights of this match go here

Hastings had defeated HOBM’s Senior 1 squad 38-5 on Saturday.

The tournament’s dominant side was the Auckland Marist Colts. Auckland Marist displayed too much size and power for both MSP and Hamilton Marist in taking out the Colts Moran Cu section.

Auckland Marist eased past MSP 123-14 on Saturday and backed up with a 46-0 win over Hamilton Marist in Sunday morning’s final.

The HOBM Senior 3 team defeated Wanganui Marist 83-10 in the final of the division 3 Brennan Cup, after leading 33-5 at halftime.

Tukapa won Saturday’s Liston Cup President’s competition, beating MSP 32-19 and HOBM 51-0 in their two matches.


Spillane Cup: Hutt Old Boys Marist

Spillane Netball: SMOG

NZ Marist Spillane Cup Tournament XV:

1. Isaac Gulliver (Palmerston North)

2. Rowan O'Gorman (Christchurch)

3. Viki Tofa (Wanganui)

4. Steven Bradshaw (HOBM)

5. Ross Kennedy (Christchurch)

6. Sione Vaingana (Auckland)

7. Isaac O'Connor (MSP)

8. M Croswell (Tukapa)

9. Peter Sciascia (MSP)

10. Chase Tiatia (HOBM)

11. Andrew Wells (MSP)

12. Ausage Fomai (Hastings)

13. Jason Te Maru (Palmerston North)

14. Junior Poloai (Auckland)

15. Glen Walters (HOBM)